Tuesday, February 26, 2013

windows registry files

As I wrote in a previous post, I had to change computers.

One of the things is I had a lot of configuration in the registry file of the old computer (from which I only have the hard drive).

So I needed to extract this info...

The registry files are located in

Windows\System32\Config

So I copied those files to a folder in the new computer.

Now I needed a program to read those files, so I used: Windows Registry Recovery



Lastly this didn't work as expected. Apparently the actual registry isn't located (or accesible) in Windows\System32\Config. I say this because I inspected the files found in that dir with the tool afore mentioned, and I didn't find what I was looking (the entries for WinSCP's configuration). So I had to mount the HDD in the old computer, cross my fingers and use REGEDIT to export them.

I was lucky enough in that the computer worked for the time I needed : )


No comments:

Post a Comment

cancel script completely on ctrl-c

I found this question interesting: basically how to cancel completely a script and all child processes : You do this by creating a subro...